Sins Invalid is looking for Summer Interns!
Are you a ROCKSTAR?
Do you want to be a part of a team that creates
GROUND BREAKING WORK?
Then apply for an internship with Sins Invalid!
Cultural and Political Programs Internships for Summer 2018Sins Invalid is a San Francisco/Bay Area disability justice based performance project that centralizes disabled artists of color and queer and gender-variant artists as members of communities who have been historically marginalized. Our performance work explores the themes of sexuality, embodiment and the disabled body. Conceived and led by disabled people of color, we developcutting-edge work where normative paradigms of “normal” and “sexy” are challenged, offering instead a vision of beauty and sexuality inclusive of all individuals and communities.We are seeking interns who know they have skills to contribute, are passionate about social justice, understand the importance of cultural work as a means of making change, and are excited about putting their beliefs into practice!The Cultural and Political Programs Internship will give you hands-on experience with community relations and outreach, organizational development and fundraising.Requirements:
- A minimum commitment of one 4-hour block of time per week, from 4 - 8pm; shift days/times are negotiable for a minimum of 3 months
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs; our hope is that everyone has their own laptop/computer to work on
- A strong attention to detail and ability to work independently
- An interest in disability justice, racial justice and disrupting heteronormativity
- If you are in school, either at a junior or senior level in college or the equivalent in life experience
- Professional behavior at the worksite
- Opportunities to build relationships with people from a wide variety of justice and performance related fields
- Opportunities to learn deeply about the intersections of disability, race, gender and sexuality
- Experience in non-profit administration
- Opportunities to engage with Disability justice praxis
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send you an intern application to be returned to us along with a current resume.Our Summer 2018 projects open for intern involvement include:
- Online Distribution of the Disability Justice Primer
- Access Support for Sins Invalid staff
- Tracking Inquiries for Community Workshops, Presentations & Performance Requests
- Social Media Content Placement
What a past intern had to say about their experience at Sins Invalid:“Nothing short of fabulous…Sins pulls the pain and traumas from ableist oppression and turns it inside out into a complex celebration of beauty and sexiness. This doesn’t just happen on the Sins stage, but also in our program work: I’ve had exciting opportunities to interview on behalf of Sins live on the radio, learned invaluable lessons about what it takes to make base building happen, helped plan and launch a successful fundraising campaign to finish Sins – The Film (we surpassed our $15k goal!), I’ve developed my networking skills, I’ve participated in political dialogues I wouldn’t otherwise have been exposed to (like developing best practices for being a politically radical mixed ability organization, or how we negotiate the legacy of the freak show in disability performance)…Interning is nothing short of fabulous, sure, but don’t get me wrong—it’s also hard work. But that’s what Sins is about as a performance project and a disability justice movement-building organization: collaboratively building an approach towards increasing accessibility, towards making a space where we can co-exist as uniquely embodied subjects as we work to maximize our own skills—as they are—and develop them as such in a way that is sustainable, accountable, responsible, and interconnected. Whew. Might sound ambitious, and it certainly is but that’s the kind of hard work of historical pains and revolutionary pleasures.”—Brooke, Intern @ Sins from June 2011 – June 2012.